Monday, December 14, 2009

Community Part 3: Return

This is the third part in a series on community, to read part 1 click here, and to read part 2 click here.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35

Last week I had the opportunity to "uphold" (see post 1 of series) some of my fellow classmates. For many of us, the semester was full of doubts, frustrations, realizations, and everything between. Needless to say, it takes its toll on a person. I was glad to have the opportunity to encourage some of my peers and grateful for the chance to return the kindness and support that others have shown me this semester.

The previous two posts in this series have been about the self- how others help us and the importance of letting them do so. But how do we respond? At the risk of being cliche, how do we pay it forward? Do we give more than we recieve?

I don't have solid answers for you, but rather an encouragement to look for opportunities to do so. Look for times when people are struggling- both those you know and those you don't know. Then, be bold and quick to help. I think you'll find that "returning" the support and love you've been shown is incredibly fulfilling.

No comments: