Monday, December 21, 2009

It's been a year now...

A year ago I found myself in the midst of a busy week. Parties and events kept me busy long after 7pm each day. The problem: dinner, the solution: fast food. I ate it every night that week, and maybe for lunch once or twice. That Friday, I watched the movie "Supersize Me", and I decided to make a change. No more fast food.
It started as just a month, then two, and then I pushed it to the end of Lent. After that, I just kept pushing it back month by month. I realized that the cravings I had stopped after the first month. I found that what I really liked was the quick, convenient meal. There have been a few times that I've had to eat at a fast food place- on trips. But I opted for the grilled chicken wraps or salads.
Like I said, I really loved the convenience. I was too busy to stop and plan out what to eat...well, truthfully it was just easier not to plan out.
I live in a fast-paced society. One that values productivity, ease, and quick fixes. It seems I hear more commercials pushing the latest energy drink/pill instead of addressing the real problem: lack of rest. Fast food is much the same: an option for an overworked and underthought lifestyle that many have come to know all too well.

Ok. Enough of that. My challenge to you is this: quit or cut down on fast food. Go "cold turkey" or cut in half the fast food you eat per week. Make it a resolution. I promise you'll feel better & notice a difference. You don't have to give up fried food completely, but do try to cut down. Especially on the times you eat on the run. Eating could become enjoyable if you let it. So could sleep. Welcome the pause in productivity.
PS- yes, I do still have cravings. But they are few & usually come when I don't feel I have time for a sit-down meal.

No comments: