Monday, November 23, 2009

Community Part 1: Uphold

Again, I ask for your pardon on the lack of posting last week. It has been especially hectic lately, this is both the reason for the lack of a post last week and also an inspiration for this post.

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." Psalm 40: 1-2

Growing up I remember testing the limits with my neighborhood friends. We created an attempted many stunts within the security of our own neighborhood and back yards. One particular challenge I remember was riding down the hill in our neighborhood on our bikes without using brakes and trying to make the turn at the bottom of the hill onto the street that ran perpendicular (90 degree angle). We measured the difficulty of this feat in "houses"... you could only go three houses up and still be able to make the turn onto the street that the one on the hill T-ed into. Any farther up and we would always "chicken" out and use the brakes.

Well one day, I convinced myself that I was going to conquer... very Evel Knievel of me, I know. So, I walked my bike up the (insanely steep) hill: 1, 2, 3, 4 houses! I turned the bike around, had a friend check to make sure no traffic was coming, let off the break and began my descent. I felt the wind in my hair, took my feet off the pedals and gripped the handlebars tight. I reached the bottom of the hill and began making the turn, it was working, I was going to make it! And then, I hit a mailbox. Most people would describe it as a clothesline. I don't remember much after that, aside from tears. But I do remember my older brother coming out of the house, gathering me up, taking me inside, then going to fetch my bike. I remember my brother's help.

The past few weeks have been crazy for me. I've been filled with doubts, anxiety, frustration...you get the idea. But I've been blessed by a great community and support system. So many people reached out and helped to "gather" me. So to all of you, I say thank you.

Community is crucial. As Christians, even just as people, we must look out for one another and pick each other up when someone falls, or maybe even try to anticipate it and keep them from falling. We have to stay in community with each other. And as believers, we desperately need to remain in community with God. Call out like the Psalmist and trust that there will be someone to draw you from the mire.


No comments: