Monday, July 27, 2009

A Purpose and a Goal




"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2: 12

The Tour de France is over and to the delight of some and the disappointment of others, Lance Armstrong did not win. But he did finish 3rd, trailing the leader by just over five minutes. In a race in which the top riders logged more than 88 hours on a bicycle, the 5-minute margin is still quite impressive considering he's been retired for 3+ years.

Have you seen this ad for Nike? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VfiXAaEQiY

Lance brings up all the criticisms that have been spoken and echoed since before he became a household name. I'm not much of a cycling fan, but I'll admit I'm a homer and I will root for someone from my home state.

At the end of the commercial Lance says, "They can say whatever they want. I'm not back on my bike for them." Obviously, there is an unspoken end to that thought- he rides to inspire those that need inspiration and hope.

This made me wonder about why I do the things I do- do I seek approval from others, praise for my works? Or do I seek to glorify God in all that I do? Opinions will be plentiful, critics will come and go, but the person that works for the glory of God and the good of God's people will find peace.

Why are you on your "bike"? Who are you working for? There is a world full of people in need of inspiration, grasping for some morsel of hope... how is what you will do today going to bring hope to someone?

2 comments:

Roy Bauer said...

Great thought. I hope what I do, whether anyone says anything or not, is done in such a way that God is glorified.

You picked an excellent verse to go with it.

Russ Bowlin said...

Roy-
thanks for the comment. I love that passage- it can be an encouraging piece of advice in times when we feel like throwing in the towel. Grace & Peace to you.