Monday, May 25, 2009

Finding Your Stride

"One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong,and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done." Psalm 62:11-12 (NIV)

I saw this story on E:60- an ESPN show that features more human-interest sports stories. Take a minute to watch a clip on youtube

or watch the watch the full story http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4169717

The first thing I thought of was Forrest Gump's run. "The Raven" has been called "...a real Gump," but Kraft is real, true, and dedicated. 

I'll admit to you. For the majority of the time I've served as a spiritual leader, my personal spiritual life has been lacking. It's easy to let it slip. I convince myself that I've got more important things to do...plan this trip, write this curriculum, go to this event... I don't have any problem coming up with excuses not to spend time allowing God to tend to my soul. Sure, I'd start a new devotional book and be really into it until something threw me out of my rhythm- and again I'd put time with God on the back burner. 

However, in the past 5+ months, I've managed to stay on a regular schedule of reading and spending time diving into God's word. And I've noticed results. I feel incomplete without that time now. I feel more patient, and more importantly- I feel open to what God may have to say to me through scriptures and the thoughts of others. But now I know there's something else I've neglected- my prayer life. Soon I'll start setting aside more time with God... I hope that God will assist me in allowing this time to transform my life to be more like Christ daily. 

This week. I challenge you to find your stride- dedicate 10 minutes to God. Read, pray, or maybe just sit in silence.... Strive to make it a part of your lifestyle...who knows, maybe 30 years from now you'll be as dedicated to God as "The Raven" is to running. 

No comments: