Monday, May 11, 2009

Confront and Confess

In recent conversations and some of the reading I've been doing, I've 
been encouraged to be more bold with my faith, and more transparent about my life. So I'd like to share this: 

Last week I was playing a softball game with some of the men from our 
church. During the last few games, I had grown tired of hearing my teammates complain about bad calls. It had eaten at me for a while. So when a few of our players 
began pleading a case to an umpire, I rolled my eyes and stated (loud 
enough to be heard over the banter), "Just Shut up."

I went on to state that I was tired of our complaining. It made the 
game less enjoyable. It made us look like whiners. I wondered how we 
were being Christ to the umpires as we questioned every close call. I 
wondered what image of Christ we were presenting to those within earshot.

However, I failed to be Christ-like to my own teammates. I 
unneccessarily scolded them, spoke to them in a very un-Christian way. 
Sure, my intentions may have been good- to get the guys to glorify God 
through their actions (even on the softball field), but I did it all 
wrong. After the game, I did take time to apologize and explain my frustrations. I hope that the team can, 1) forgive me, and 2) begin to make an effort to live as we are called, even on the field of competition.

I think sometimes I take this whole Christianity thing too lightly. I 
struggle to let it direct my entire life. I know i've been the one 
complaining and arguing before, but I showed little patience for my teammates. And, as evidenced in the story, I've definitely lost my temper once in a while.

What kind of life do we lead when we aren't at church? What do our actions say about Christ when we are competing, stressed, irritated...? Are we encouraging each other to live the gospel daily?

God wants to change every part of your life, not just the parts you're 
comfortable being Christ-like in...all of it. What are you holding on 
to? Where in your life do you need to be transformed? Be unashamedly Christ-like.

"In everything, set them an example by doing what is good. IN your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us." Titus 2: 7

2 comments:

Roque'r said...

Wow Russ! I bet your team was shocked! I know I would have! I did not think anything ruffled you. No matter what the situation, we always need God's guidance.

Russ Bowlin said...

I try not to lose my patience/temper often, but unfortunately I'm human so I do sometimes. Not really proud of it, but it was a learning experience that I thought I should share. Thanks for the comment