Monday, September 1, 2008

Regret

...The professor looked around the room, waiting for volunteers, while I tried not to make eye contact. It took a little while to get the five volunteers, but eventually the need was filled. I kept thinking, "I don't have time....someone else can do it."

To this day, this is my biggest regret from my college years: not volunteering to help with the evacuees from Katrina and Rita in 2005. I know I had a test and lots of books to read, but I can't remember what the books were, or what grade I got on the test/quizzes. I could have spared some time and helped others in need, but the truth of it is, I didn't want to. I was selfish. I normally would have done anything for that professor, he was one of my favorites. But I just "couldn't" volunteer to help him at the shelter.

It still bothers me that I didn't help. Partly because I don't remember what class the 'important' test was in...or even what it was covering, but mostly because I put things before people. Huge mistake. Any time we, as humans (not even mentioning the Christian part) begin putting things before people, we begin to lose some of our humanity...the part of us that is good...from God.

I've been offered a chance for redemption. While I wish that people weren't having to stay at our church, I see it as an opportunity to make up for what I didn't do three years ago. I have a lot of important things to do this week, but they can wait until the people have been taken care of. If you're in Texarkana, please volunteer at a shelter. And if you're in a town that has evacuees, find out how to get involved with helping people that have been displaced.

"As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, "This is a remote place, and it's already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food."
Jesus replied, 'They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.' "

Matthew 14: 15-16 (NIV) (bold added)

No comments: