Tuesday, May 4, 2010

All about timing

A few weeks ago I took a break from studying for finals to go down to the beautiful Duke Gardens- a three-minute walk from where I attend class daily that I don't frequent enough. I took my lunch with me and promised myself I wouldn't look at the study materials for the exam I had that afternoon. I arrived and picked a different place (even though I don't go enough, I have a "usual spot") to sit and enjoy my lunch and creation. Two young mothers were playing with their children (I'd guess one was 3 and the other maybe 1 &1/2). They laughed, yelled, and just enjoyed the place. It was a refreshing change from being cooped up in the library with other sleep-deprived people.

Well it wasn't long before the younger guy started making his way toward a pond. He was curious and wanted to see what the water was like...at least that's what I think. Mom noticed, and trailed close behind as he approached the water. She took his hand a few steps before the drop off into the man-made pond. Upon reaching the side, he stretched his right leg out to step onto the water, and mom kept him from moving forward. He persisted, then she picked him up and carried him away from the water. As expected, he wasn't too happy and let her know about it.

I wonder how often I'm like that. I know what I want to do and I know when I want to do it. When I don't get my way, I'm not happy. But maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe I just don't realize what I'm about to get into.

2 comments:

Amy Hadley said...

This made me smile. I could see the scene playing out, and love the life analogy to how we maybe do the same thing as adults. Question, though -- do you throw tempter tantrums, too? 'Cause I'd like to see that.

Russ Bowlin said...

Ill admit to duking it out (pun intended) with God sometimes when my plans don't work out. It's not pretty most times.