Monday, April 5, 2010

All quiet

I've never been an early riser (at least since being a kid and having the attraction of early morning cartoons). I'd prefer to stay up late and sleep until the sun is well over the horizon. But this year required a bit of a lifestyle change. So I started (reluctantly) going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. Since the time change a few weeks ago, I've actually sort of enjoyed getting up before the sun does.

There is something peaceful about the time from when light begins to infiltrate the darkness until the time when the sun appears and everything is visible. During a recent conversation with my roommate, he described that time as "quiet...undisturbed...a fresh start." I thought that was a great way to put it - there is something peaceful about the morning. The birds sing as the rest of the world slowly wakes up.

"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." Psalm 90: 14

This week, I encourage you to find out what time the sun will rise, set your alarm to beat it by about 20 minutes, then just spend some time watching the morning (from outside if possible).

No comments: