Monday, October 26, 2009

Over-relevance

"I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." 1 Cor. 9: 22b

"Relevant" has become somewhat of a buzzword for many churches today. I know I've heard a fair amount of statements about how the church needs to do this or that in order to be relevant (or perhaps 'more appealing'). While I'm no expert, I think that the verse above (which I've taken out of context on purpose) can serve as a battle cry for wanting a "relevant" church. I do think it's important for the church's teaching to be relevant, but I think that the interpretation of how exactly the church is to become relevant can be the point of danger.

We are the church. We are called by Christ to be different. I fear that too many moves to be "relevant" may result in a loss of identity. And this concern spills over into the individual lives of Christians too (myself included). I fear that in trying to fit in, we may forget that we are not intended to fit in. Evaluating the life experiences of Christ and the apostles with society will show just how much those who follow God stick out sometimes. We are called to righteousness.

Remember your calling. Minister to all people.

" 'Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites." Exodus 19: 5-6
(If the Old Testament seems irrelevant, this same language is repeated in 1 Peter 2:9-12)

No comments: