Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Security

(First off, let me apologize for this being late. Please forgive my tardiness.)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." Matthew 6: 19

Last Monday night/Tuesday morning my car was broken into. I foolishly left my wallet in my car (I thought it was out of sight, but apparently not), and someone smashed the window took the wallet, a book of CDs, a cell phone charger, and some random other things. Of course, the biggest loss was my wallet- all of the cards that were in there, my driver's license... basically most of the ways that I can be identified as being me. I spent the rest of the day calling credit card companies, speaking with people at my bank, and talking to police... trying to figure out how to put things back to the way they had been. It was definitely a day to forget.

During all of the phone calls and waiting around, I tried to see the positive: maybe someone really needed that cash more than me. Maybe someone will actually get more play out of those CDs... but everything seemed to be about the other person. I didn't want to be selfish, but really 'What was in it for me?' Answer:

All of these things can be taken in a matter of moments. All of these things can be replaced in a few hours (or through some phone calls). Many of the things that we value so much really aren't worth as much as we make them out to be.

I take comfort in knowing that the one truly invaluable thing I have cannot be taken from me.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

No comments: