Monday, March 2, 2009

Mediocre Expectations

One of my favorite authors is C. S. Lewis. I've only read a few of his books, but he is an incredible writer and is able to present the gospel message in a very logical way. During a recent devotional time, I read this passage that I'd like to share with you (I'm leaving the original British spellings) :

"I am only trying to call attention to a fact; the fact that this year, or this month, or more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour that we expect from other people."

We are all familiar with this idea. Perhaps a good example comes from one of the many times we find ourselves waiting at a stoplight. A driver runs a red light and our response is usually to criticize the other person, "Idiot." But, if we should be the ones to try to 'sneak through the intersection' a bit late...then it's because "I'm going to be late." or "I couldn't stop in time." However, we place expectations on the behaviors of others in a number of situations. Then, as Lewis observes, we fail to live up to those expectations- essentially, we lower the bar for our own self. Friends, how is this acceptable?

Your challenge for this week- live up to your own expectations for others, including friends and complete strangers.

"Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else," Galatians 6: 4

No comments: