Monday, January 19, 2009

Being Real

I bought a 4.5 foot pre-lit Christmas tree a few years ago. I must say that having a pre-lit tree speeds up the process of decorating. I did everything as I normally do: set the tree up, put on the decorative gold bead string, and put on the ornaments. Then I plugged it in. Something was wrong- there was a spot on the top of the tree where the lights weren't working. Irritated, I investigated the problem. That was the only bare spot I found. So I did what any other rational person would do- spun the tree around until the bare spot faced the wall and was unnoticeable.

"For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me. I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin... O Lord, do not forsake me; be not far from me, O my God. Come quickly to help me, O Lord my Savior." Psalm 38: 17-18; 21-22

Sometimes, when dealing with our "iniquities" or problems in spiritual life, people react in much the same way I dealt with the bare spot on the Christmas tree. Instead of spending the time to find the source and fix it, people would rather take the easy way out and pretend there is no problem. But with God, there is no need to pretend. People can't fool God, and they only end up hurting themselves when they try. How? Because they're not addressing the problem and asking for help from the only One that is capable of making us whole and right.

This week, get past your need to act like you have it together. Admit that you're in need of help. And, as the psalmist, call on God to help you.

2 comments:

Jason Huffman said...

Great post. Russ, I love the way you use scripture in your blogs. They make it so meaningful and you use some obscure passages sometimes that sheds new light on things. Keep it up.

Russ Bowlin said...

Thanks. Writing helps me to digest daily life and examine my own "iniquities"