Monday, October 20, 2008

The best is yet to come

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 (NIV) (bold added)

Ray Lewis has been one of the NFL's top defensive players for years. Many regard him as one of the greatest linebackers of all time. Ray had a rough start to his professional football career...legal trouble, being viewed as a selfish player... that's a lot more than most people could handle. Now, at age 33, Ray is approaching the end of his playing days, but he is still considered one of the best (if not the best) linebacker in the NFL.

During an interview near the start of the 2008 season, Ray talked about his career and his legacy. I couldn't find the quote, and it's been a while, but he said something to the effect of, "In my opinion, I haven't played my best football yet...When I play my best football, I'll be inspiring other players to be better at what they do." He talked about how he didn't think that he could give anything more physically, but if he was able to motivate other players on the team, that could be a more valuable contribution to the team than any personal feat.

Being truly great at anything requires having this kind of effect on people. Great musicians inspire others to learn an instrument, great athletes cause young children to dream of championships, great teachers inspire students to learn.... Being a follower of Christ is no different. To be a great disciple is to live a life that is an example that inspires others to want a personal faith, or maybe grow in their faith. A person can be very holy, but that person must remember that we are to "make disciples" with our faith.
How can you inspire others to follow Christ? How can you inspire your peers at church to grow closer to God? Who do you look to for inspiration in your faith-walk?

1 comment:

Jason Huffman said...

Nice thoughts, Russ. It is true. Our faith should be contagious...not just contagious, but inspiring. I often wonder if I'm a true leader in the church outside of the youth group. I mean, do I inspire people or do they just expect me to be a certain waay since I'm on staff at a church? Sometimes I think our paychecks limit the impact we have on people because certain behavior is expected, when most of the time we'd be doing it with or without the job title. The people who inspire me are the ones with real world jobs and have that unwaivering commitment to volunteer time and resources to important ministries.