Monday, May 26, 2008

i-focused

I recently caught the last half of a show on the History Channel about 1980s technology and how it's impacted our world today. The program, a part of the series "Modern Marvels," featured many of our favorite inventions that we now call 'retro.' Click on the above title to view their web-page that highlights the particular program I'm talking about. Amongst the inventions were the "brick" phone (see Zach Morris on Saved by the Bell), Pac-Man, and the calculator watch. But the invention they said had the greatest influence on our culture today was Sony's Walkman
The Walkman, they said revolutionized the way we listen to music- from communally to personally. It wasn't long until everyone (it seemed) had or needed a walkman. The Walkman paved the way for the personal CD player, the mp3 players of the late 90s and early 00s....and finally, helped Apple's regain it's place in the technological market through the iPod. The iPod became immensely popular and solidified the fact that we no longer had to listen to things we didn't want to hear...and no longer had to physically carry tapes or CDs with us to be able to listen to them when we wanted to. You get the idea.
I feel like this is somewhat of a barometer of our society- there's been a shift in thinking: we no longer think in terms of we, but are more likely to think in terms of "me" and "I." (Something we really didn't need help doing). It seems that in the past few years we've started asking "What's in it for me?" and "Why do I have to do that?" a lot more. I feel that we're much less likely to do something for the "good of the whole" if it doesn't benefit us as individuals as well. 
I could be wrong, but I feel that religion has become the same way. We look at God and churches and wonder what they've got for us (as individuals)? In the recent past, "I don't go to church because I don't get anything out of it," has become a common excuse for not attending church. I believe you should get something out of it, and that church shouldn't be boring , but I still have to ask: "Does it always have to be about you?" or "Isn't church about praising God and recognizing what God's done for you?" 
This week I urge you to seek God in everything: school, work, conversations, and yes, even at church... see if shifting your focus from "I" and "Me" to "God" doesn't change your perspective. After all, perspective is all in how you look at it...

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:25

No comments: