Monday, April 28, 2008

Overjoyed

"After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord." John 20:20
I had a rare privilege yesterday after church. I hung out with a group of 1-2 year olds. I tried to get these children to look at me, and not run away in fear when I talked to them....and then, I was amazed at how much one thing could change their mood....
None of the children were upset while I was there, I would actually describe their mood as "chill." They were content to play with the fire trucks, giant elmo, alligator xylophones....and pretty much did what they wanted to. But, as church let out, their parents started showing up at the door of the nursery. I enjoyed watching their faces as they looked at, and recognized their moms and dads....words could describe the joy in those children's eyes. It was remarkable. They were so happy and ran (well, sort of wobbled quickly) over to their parents, and their parents picked them up and returned the joy with a hug and kind words (in higher octaves...because we do that when we talk to babies). It was as if I was watching a sermon.
Can you imagine what it's going to be like? When we finally meet Jesus and God? I think it's going to be one of those moments when your face hurts from smiling so much...and your heart jumps in elation.
So, why can't we greet God with the same jubilation in our weekly worship and daily life? We get so bogged down and get used to going through the motions, and forget that we are privileged to be able to worship our God...especially those that are able to openly worship. This week, try to Glorify God and greet God with the same kind of joy a child greets his/her parent with after a long absence.

No comments: